1. The number of initial public offerings (IPO) and the amount of funds raised in the Chinese mainland's A-share market fell sharply year-on-year during the first half of 2016, according to statistics released by PwC last Monday.
2. And, thanks to Artnet and other databases that list auction results, wealthy people who buy art have become all too aware of how hard it is to make a profit on old masters.
4. Productivity is the name of the game for entrepreneurs. The good news is that there are thousands of amazing software applications out there, designed to make your life easier. The bad news is that you don’t have time to try thousands of software applications. Which ones are worth your time?
5. There's plenty more to figure out in the coming months, plenty more to speculate about, plenty more to enjoy. Here's wishing all of our readers a safe and enjoyable holiday season, and a happy new basketball year.
6. The show was a potent reminder that the sexual revolution and women entering the work force and the rise of consumerism and the Age of Aquarius (all that) had a dark side, and claimed their own victims. That’s part of why it was such a powerful show.
1. According to a report by Beijing Statistics Bureau, retail sales of consumer goods in the Chinese capital surpassed 1 trillion yuan ($152 billion) in 2015, up 7.3 percent year on year.
2. Its return to the throne came at a cost to London which, after occupying pole position for two years, is trading places with its Asian rival.
4. 3. “Bridge of Spies” Years ago, Steven Spielberg entered the ranks of Pantheon Directors, to borrow the most exalted category in Andrew Sarris’s taxonomic “The American Cinema” — and there he remains.
6. 13. 《女孩帮》(Girlhood)，导演：瑟琳·席安玛(Céline Sciamma)。
1. "They are fairies. Can’t they do something else except falling in love?" another Douban user Amy said.
2. The potential impact of any surprise move in Fed policy was clear in the “taper tantrum” of 2013, when just the suggestion that the Fed might soon rein in its ultra-loose monetary policies was enough to provoke a wave of global panic.
3. “Thutmose III was one of the most important pharaohs in Egypt’s New Kingdom and is credited with establishing the Egyptian imperial province in Canaan,” said Gabriel Barkay, the co-founder and director of the Temple Mount Sifting Project.
4. Kellogg/HKUST dominated this ranking from 2009 to 2014 but lost out to Trium in 2014 and to Tsinghua University/Insead in 2015.
5. Users say the voice messages are transferred quickly enough to have a conversation on the platform. But different from free voice applications such as Microsoft Corp.'s Skype, it also offers the flexibility of answering messages at a later time. 'I can decide when to reply, or not to,' said Beijing WeChat user Robin Wang.
1. As a result, business investment in key areas such as equipment has been historically weak for a U.S. recovery. A slowly improving jobs picture and rising household wealth could spark a virtuous cycle of stronger consumer spending, increased business confidence and rising investment. If it doesn't, the year could be another letdown.
4. 7. Trust will remain the single most critical business issue.
5. The charges of Russian hacking and Mr Trump’s evident defects of experience, judgment and character show that the college has not proved the bulwark Mr Hamilton hoped for.
1. No wonder that banks have begun to get creative.
Many analysts may be surprised at the suggestion that they have underplayed the Fed. The two factors most often cited in relation to EM assets these days are the Fed and China, and the risk that they will deliver a negative shock.