2. The total amount of remittances, which is estimated to reach $450 billion in 2017, has risen by more than 50 percent in the past decade, IFAD said.
3. Ironically the list comes out the same day that Trump is meeting with Bill Gates, who is the world's richest man for the fourth straight year.
4. Nevertheless, as New Yorkers grow accustomed to a sharing economy, buildings might ultimately have to embrace it.
5. Despite the criticism, Mayer defended her decision to Fortune in April and said that the move was "wrongly perceived as an industry narrative." Mayer said she needed employees to work in the office to encourage collaboration and innovation from workers. So far it looks like her controversial move may be helping the business: Yahoo's stock is up more than 100% since Mayer took over in 2012.
4. Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal have been working for a while on a drama about the 1967 police raid in Detroit, which led to one of the largest citizen uprisings in US history. Kaitlyn Dever, John Krasinski, Will Poulter, John Boyega and Jack Reynor star.
2. Last year was the hottest on earth since record-keeping began in 1880, scientists reported on Friday, underscoring warnings about the risks of runaway greenhouse gas emissions and undermining claims by climate change contrarians that global warming had somehow stopped.
3. When did winter become the season of television’s most distinguished content? The fall season, with its organized and heavily publicized broadcast-network premieres, still gets the attention, but a greater number of interesting shows now arrive on cable, broadcast and online in the first quarter of the year.
5. Remedy: While the idea of being your own boss is an attractive one, not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Being responsible for your own success, creating a legacy for your family and improving the lives of clients and customers certainly sounds romantic, but what about the long hours, the lack of leisure time, the risk of financial failure, the fact that you’re the boss, entry-level employee, marketer, accountant and janitor all rolled into one? If you value job stability, prefer a singular focus over multi-tasking, aren’t particularly comfortable with risk and can’t imagine yourself hustling for new business on a daily basis, the entrepreneurial lifestyle isn’t for you.
4. It’s ironic that in a country as populous as China, a meme about loneliness would be so popular. This seemingly irrational line has been repeated in every possible permutation, on every possible occasion, e.g. “What big brother is reading not a book, but loneliness.”